Wednesday 2 January 2013

New Year, next chapter?

Whilst this festive period may have been a happy time, for many the added stress, constant planning and financial pressure will have left their relationships at breaking point.  When the New Year comes round and people stand back to assess their lives and relationships, many may decide to separate or Divorce.

Rarely do I find that the Christmas period has been the cause of a relationship breakdown and often separation is something that couples have been discussing between themselves for quite a while. When another year arrives on the calendar people think about a new start, new opportunities and new possibilities. It often seems easier to draw a line in the sand at the end of the old year and try to be optimistic about the future at the beginning of the new one, whatever difficulties you might be facing.
Often, the idea of instructing a solicitor may seem 'too big a step' when all you really want is an understanding of what your options may be going forward and clients frequently tell me that they have delayed getting advice because they were concerned about the costs or fearful about feeling pressured into a certain course of action – presumably having listened to the media’s view of lawyers generally.
I can only imagine that in 2013, with Legal Aid being withdrawn by the government for almost all Family Law matters, the number of people feeling this way will increase. And yet, separation or Divorce is a major life decision and one that you should make with as much information as possible.
I offer a free initial consultation on family law issues and spend time explaining to clients the options and discussing ways forward. I hope that clients leave more reassured and clearer about their next steps and they frequently tell me that this is the case, which is good to hear!
Recently, we developed a range of fixed fee options, again, in the hope of reassuring clients and in anticipation of Legal Aid being withdrawn, to assist the many people that will require advice after April 2013 but simply cannot afford to pay on the basis of an hourly rate. It remains to be seen whether many other firms will take the same line but it I clear that the legal market is changing.
Couples separating will more and more be faced with a vast array of organisations and firms seeking to offer legal advice – they will have to decide, do I get advice from my supermarket, an online organisation or a traditional law firm. Do I want to deal with a call centre, someone over e-mail or do I value my life and future enough to want the person dealing with it all to be accessible, someone I can visit face to face and develop trust in?
So I start 2013 positively, having done all I can to enable our clients to access the advice they need at an affordable cost, and anxious to see how the legal market will change this year.
Bring on the next 12 months!

No comments:

Post a Comment